During the week is hectic, and when trying to live a more “from-scratch” lifestyle cooking everything can be overwhelming! Making your entire meal at home without supplementing with pre-packaged items can be really hard to get use to for some. Though, it’s important to know that trying to step away from these pre-made quick fixes is not only one of the healthiest decisions you can make, but it can also really save money when trying to eat more healthy.
There are many options coming out on the market these days offering food items that meet the Paleo/Primal dietary guidelines, but over time buying a lot of these packaged foods can really make that grocery bill sky-rocket. I do like to have a few on hand for days where you just need a back-up plan, but to keep our budget in check I am always looking for quick, simple, and delicious meals I can make that aren’t a lot of fuss, but are a lot of yumminess!!
This dish is definitely one of them! This one pot meal cost me less than $8.00 to make, and feeds my family of four several meals. It covered us for: 2 suppers all together and 1 set of lunch leftovers for my husband and I for work. I paid $1.00 each for a head of cabbage at our local farmers market (2 cabbages for $2.00), 1 onion from a bulk bag was about 22 cents, 1 package of venison sausage (5 links) from our freezer breaks down to about $4.50, and I used seasonings we already had in the pantry. Totaling a rough estimate around $6.72….Now that’s what I’m talking about! Budget friendly Paleo is possible
So for this meal I have covered budget friendly now what about the ease of the cooking and the cleanup….got that covered too!! Throw your cabbage, onions, and seasonings into one pot, while it simmers sear off the sausage in a cast iron skillet (easy clean up), stir in your sausage slices, and within minutes supper is ready! Not a lot of crazy steps and prep, not a lot of dishes to wash, cook it all in one pot, and serve. And the best thing about this dish is it gets better with each leftover meal it creates! Mmmm so get ready it is time to dig in!!
- 2 heads of cabbage (cored and sliced)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Aminos Soy-Free
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic (3-4 cloves)
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Place coconut oil, onion, and garlic into pot.
- Sauté for about 2 minutes till onion starts to soften.
- Add the cabbage, water, and seasonings to the pot. (I like to start rubbing the leaves in the oil and seasonings, flipping them so that each layer gets coated by the mixture. Be very careful it can get hot.)
- Cover pot with lid to simmer for about 15 minutes. Toss off and on so not to burn.
- Preheat a large heavy skillet (I prefer to use a black iron skillet) over medium heat allowing it to warm up at least 1 minute before adding the sausage.
- When the skillet is hot place sausage in the skillet. Sear till browned on each side.
- Remove from skillet and slice into 1 inch thick sausage pieces.
- Add the sausage slices to the pot and stir in with the cabbage.
- Continue to toss the sausage and cabbage together until sausage is thoroughly cooked and cabbage has reached desired tenderness (about 3-5 minutes).
- Serve in a bowl for family and friends. Enjoy!