Sometimes I just want something crispy and salty without actually serving a “fried food” item. I like leaning in that direction without going all the way (Please don’t get me wrong my Paleorized versions of ole’ southern fried faves are great, but they just aren’t frequent flyers at our house.)
Baked sweet potato chips are that perfect middle ground for me and my family. A wonderful side dish that adds a lil crunch to the plate! My method is simple, satisfying, and you get that crunch you desire without ever having to drag out that heavy cast iron skillet!
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
(Feel free to add more seasonings to spice things up! We love to sprinkle on a little chili powder and minced garlic when craving something with more of a kick!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes using a mandolin (set to 1/8th inch), or with a sharp knife.
- Place foil on a baking sheet and rub a little of the coconut oil over it.
- Next rub coconut oil on the sweet potato slices (Get your hands good and oily! Cover the slices and soften your skin all at the same time!!).
- Spread out sliced sweet potatoes onto lined baking sheet.
- Season sliced potatoes with sea salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and flip over slices (this helps create a really crisp chip. You can skip this step but they will be crisper on one side).
- Place already crisped chips to the side. (Sometimes smaller slices cook the first go-round. Removing these will prevent them from burning in the last cooking cycle.)
- Season sliced potatoes with sea salt and pepper again (brush on more coconut oil before re-seasoning if needed).
- Place chips back in oven for 6-8 minutes (Cook till desired crispness is reached, but be careful they can burn quickly in the last few minutes of cooking so don’t overdo it).
- Pull out the pan and serve up this quick and crispy snack or side dish!!