When transitioning my family to a more “from-scratch” way of eating I needed snack ideas/recipes for my kids. It was a little difficult at first because they had some trouble getting use to some of the primal alterations I was making to their usual selections. My girls are picky eaters, and a hard crowd to please, but I was determined to tackle a grain free cracker that mimicked the taste of their beloved cheddar bunnies.
It took a little trial and error, but soon I thought it was spot on! Time for the true test….bring on the lil taste testers to sample my creation. I wasn’t real sure what they were going to think about the new and improved paleorized “cheezy” crackers I had formulated and baked up in the kitchen, but it was time to find out. I stood off to the side glancing at their faces as they hesitantly put the new crackers up to their lips. And with one bite…hallelujah crunching began, plates were then cleared, WHEW these were a hit!! They scarfed each one down with no complaints and were asking for more! I was so excited these were a winner, kid tested, and kid approved!!! So try out a batch and start making those snack substitutions today
(Grain Free/Gluten Free/Dairy Free)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup flax seeds
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup pecans (grounded into a nut meal)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Take a piece of parchment paper and line baking sheet, set to the side.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine all wet ingredients, and mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredient mixture and combine until dough is formed.
- Place dough on parchment paper and flatten out till reaches about ½ an inch of thickness.
- Use a pizza cutter to pre-cut cracker shapes out of the dough. (This will allow you to break the crackers into individual pieces with ease after being baked.)
- Place baking sheet into oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Take crackers out of the oven, let cool, break apart, and place in an air tight container.