I never was a huge sweet potato fan, but over the course of my health and wellness journey I have grown to adore them! I yearn for them mostly after a WOD, or long run. Sweet potatoes and something green alongside a slab of protein is my recovery meal of choice!
The recipe below was inspired by a morning I had recently… I got home after a pretty intense workout and realized we were all out of sweet potatoes. I batch cooked (To prepare and cook large amounts of food to be consumed throughout the work week, or store in freezer for grab-n-go fromscratch meals/snacks.) sweet potatoes over the weekend, and we had already made are way through them all.
I knew I had to choose an option with little prep and minimal cooking time. So, I wasn’t able to wait on some to bake (with my oven it usually takes about an hour to achieve desired tenderness, which was too long). It also needed to be something I could set, walk away, and be able to take with me out the door on my way to work. What to do…what to do…Of course! It was time to turn to the ole’ trusty Instant Pot! I knew the prepping would be simple, I would be able to cook a large amount of potatoes without standing over the stove, and I could achieve mashable perfection with plenty of time to spare.
Prepping was short because since I was using the Instant Pot I knew I didn’t need to worry with cutting each potato perfectly (they would all cook down well under the pressure cooking wizardry). I also saved on prepping time by not skinning the potatoes. So, all I had to do to prep was slice the potatoes up in chunks as best I could (no worries about size differences) and then just throw them all in! Adding the other ingredients took less than a minute, and before I knew it I was pressing the start button and off to get the kids ready for school! When the timer went off the potatoes were so incredibly tender I barely had to mash them up, gave it all a good stir, and scooped some out into a to-go dish. This recipe makes for a quick and tasty snack or side dish that’s simple, satisfying, and sustaining!
- 5 sweet potatoes (sliced)
- 1 can full fat Coconut Milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons grassfed butter (or use coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grounded ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
***I prefer to not add natural sweeteners to this dish because for me the sweet potato itself provides enough sweetness, but if you do a taste test and feel you need more sugary notes of flavor feel free to add some honey or maple syrup to the pot and stir (start with 1 tablespoon and go from there).
- Slice sweet potatoes into large chunks. Place in Instant Pot. (You can place the potatoes in the pot without slicing, but because I don’t skin them cutting into slices beforehand, to me, resulted in a smoother mash.)
- Pour can of coconut milk and water into the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the Instant Pot: butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and sea salt.
- Place the lid on top and close securely.
- Push the “Manual” button on your Instant Pot and set the time for 20 minutes pressure cooking time, and let it cook away.
- When complete follow the safety directions that come with your Instant Pot when removing the lid.
- Mash potatoes with a hand-held potato masher, and give it all a good stir.
- Serve to your family and friends and enjoy this very simple yet satisfying side!