Holiday meals are literally right around the corner! One of my all time favorite dishes that my mom used to make was Broccoli Casserole. I wanted it all the time (not just for a holiday spread or special event), but whenever she didn’t mind whipping it together I was all for it! The recipe for that particular casserole incorporated some items that are not part of my clean eating lifestyle. Things like: cream of mushroom soup (from a red and white can), commercially processed mayo with hydrogenated oils, and this incredible cheesy crunchy topping that covered it from end to end (which involved crushed square-shaped orange crackers and shredded cheese). All together forming this piping hot bubbly goodness we all heaped onto our plates back in the day!!
So again, adoring this casserole as much as I did I knew this would be a top priority recipe to recreate from my childhood. I needed to get in the kitchen, use my southern flare with a Paleo twist, and breathe new life into this one! It turned out better than I expected! I was so proud of the outcome, and I don’t know why it has taken me over a year to type it up and share it with y’all!! My version not only offers up similar textures and flavors I loved so much about the recipe I grew up on, but it also reminded me that no matter how much you think you love (or once loved) something…nothing beats good ole’ fromscratch cookin with a healthier spin!!!
(***Please be aware that there are 2 items that will need to be made ahead of time, or can be made same day but will draw out the prepping and cook time. I always have my Cream of Mushroom Soup made ahead of time and stored in the freezer. Also, I do the same for my Paleorized “Cheezy” Crackers. If these items are made before hand all you have to do is throw this casserole together.)
Homemade Broccoli Casserole
- 2 bundles of broccoli (cut and steamed)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2/3 cups Primal Kitchen Paleo Approved Avocado Oil Mayo (or homemade version Paleo approved mayo)
- 1 ½ cups Primal GRITS Cream of Mushroom Soup (make ahead of time)
- ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup crushed Primal GRITS Paleroized “Cheezy” Crackers (make ahead of time)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place steamed broccoli florets in large mixing bowl.
- In a separate smaller bowl combine: eggs, soup, mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Mix till combined well.
- Pour mixture over broccoli and stir till mixture coats broccoli.
- Place broccoli mixture into casserole dish.
- Sprinkle crushed crackers on top of broccoli mixture.
- Place casserole into the oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and serve for your guest to enjoy!