I love blueberry muffins! Every time I eat one I am flooded with memories of when I was a little girl visiting my Nana. She would always make my sister and me blueberry muffins for breakfast, and they were so yummy! After finding out I have a gluten and casein allergy, my blueberry muffin recipe was definitely at the top of my priority list to recreate and line up with my new dietary lifestyle. I created my original recipe and posted it to my blog, but was still wanting to lower the amount of honey, and remove the use of Greek yogurt. I have been working really hard in the kitchen tweaking this recipe to fit my taste buds, and finally I think I hit the nail on the head! This recipe is a must have in my household, and I hope you enjoy it as well. I like to make 2 batches at a time and freeze them. They warm up beautifully fresh and make a great from-scratch go-to breakfast!
Servings: 24 muffins
Ingredients (updated May 12, 2014)
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted grassfed/organic butter (or ghee)
- 3 over ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut cream (the solid form that separates from a chilled can whole fat Coconut Milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ¼ cups blanched almond flour
- 2 ½ tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil for greasing muffin pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin pan with coconut oil.
- Place all wet ingredients in a large bowl: melted butter, mashed bananas, eggs, honey, coconut milk (cream part), vanilla and beat ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix all of the following dry ingredients: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, sea salt, baking soda, almond flour, and coconut flour in a separate bowl.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add the blueberries to the mixture and gently stir them into your batter.
- Pour about ¼ cup of batter into the muffin pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (Insert a toothpick in the middle of a muffin and if it comes out clean the muffins are ready). Enjoy!