July is National Blueberry Month! So today I wanted to take a moment and share a new recipe along with some great lil tid bits about this fantastic berry! Blueberries may be small, but this little package is filled with amazing health benefits! This tiny berry is one of the richest fruits in antioxidants. Blueberries can help give your immune system a great big boost, and in doing so it builds up your body’s natural defenses against viral, bacterial, and other forms of infectious diseases. Yearning for natural ways to amp up your youthful looks? The large amount of Anthocyanin (responsible for the deep blue color of the berry), Vitamin C, and Vitamin E packs this little blue berry full of an anti-aging punch! Boosting brain health and bone development, fighting off UTIs, knocking out cancer risks…the list of aid this competitive boxing blueberry brings to the ring goes on and on!
Did you also know that Blueberries may be linked to reducing belly fat? Not only shrinking the midsection this berry can decrease the risks of metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease. Their high fiber content along with the dynamic duo of vitamins and antioxidants provides blueberries with the ability to strengthen cardiac muscles and improve digestion.
Blueberries are grown in various regions year round, but the best time of year to find fresh blueberries here on the East Coast is in the summer months. They begin to ripen in May and continue through September. Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits to eat by the handful, toss in a salad, or throw into any baked good I can get my hands on! So go to your local farmers market, or a public Pick-Your-Own (PYO) field, and round up some fresh blueberries today!
Grain Free/Paleo/Primal/Dairy Free/Egg Free
- 3 cups organic blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour (or arrowroot flour)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil (a little extra for greasing baking dish)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or raw honey)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 1.5 quart baking dish with coconut oil.
- Place: blueberries, lemon juice, tapioca flour, and vanilla in a small container. Toss and Set aside.
- In a separate container mix the remaining ingredients: almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, sea salt, coconut oil, and maple syrup till combined.
- Place blueberry mixture into baking dish to create the bottom layer.
- Spoon topping over blueberry mixture and gently spread covering the entire blueberry layer.
- Cover dish and place in the oven to bake for 1 hour.
- Remove cover and continue to bake for 5 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven, let cool, and enjoy!