When I started my new health journey I had quite the sweet tooth! My first goal to step out of Candy Land was to cut out processed sugar, and switch to natural sweetener options like: honey, coconut sugar, and maple syrup. If I wanted something sweet I made it myself using these healthier options for homemade treats and desserts.
This worked for a while, and personal improvements were made, but I started to realize that because of my adrenal issues leaning on natural sugars was not working for me. These are better options, but at the end of the day it’s still sugar. So, to get the body overhaul I so desired I needed to stop depending on them. It was time for me to cut all the added sugar out, and boy did it make a difference for me! I have experienced things such as: more energy throughout the day, fewer colds/sinus infections, decreased mood swings, and no more dizzy spells or shakes between meals, etc.
Some of my usual go-to snacks were no longer an option so I needed to get creative and make a few replacement recipes. I wanted to make sure I had food choices that I would really enjoy so that this way of eating would be a lifestyle change, and not just some short-lived quick fix. (I will eat a paleorized sweet treat on special occasions, but overall I try to keep them at bay because I feel so much better without them.)
Here is one of my favorite little snacks to whip up! It’s very simple yet satisfying. You get that hint of sweet from the potatoes natural flavor profile, and adding that dash of sea salt and cinnamon sure does make a perfect combination!
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch
- 1 tablespoon grassfed butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
(If you aren’t trying to cut out sugar, and really feel like this needs a sweet tweak, add 2 teaspoons of honey to sweeten the deal.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes using a mandolin (set to 1/8th inch), or with a sharp knife.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- In a small sauce pan on low heat melt butter and coconut oil.
- In a small bowl combine: melted butter and coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and sea salt.
- Next drop the sweet potato slices into the bowl and cover them with the mixture. (Get your hands good and messy!)
- Spread out sliced sweet potatoes onto lined baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. (Cook till desired crispness is reached, but be careful they can burn quickly in the last few minutes of cooking so don’t overdo it).
- Pull out the pan and serve up this quick and crispy snack or side dish!! (I sometimes like to sprinkle some additional sea salt over the piping hot crisps when they come out of the oven. I give one of the small ones a taste to see if they need it or not.)
Looking for something a little more savory? Try my Quick and Easy Baked Sweet Potato Chips!
For more snack ideas check out: Primal GRITS Snack Recipes